Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Under $30 Thursday on a Tuesday, because when there's a sale, there's a sale.

There was a point after child #1 where I had the worst self-image I've ever had. Nothing fit, and we didn't have money to buy anything new. I avoided going out with friends or even with my husband just because I had NOTHING that I felt good in. When we got our tax return that year, my long-suffering husband suggested I take $100 and spend it on clothes. Jumping on the suggestion, before he changed his mind, I blew it all on cotton clearance bargains that after a wash or two ended up in the category of "old and frumpy". I was back to where I started but felt even WORSE for having blown a hundred bucks.

Isn't it always the case that when you have money to spend, there's nothing to buy, but when you don't have a penny to your name, everything fabulous is on sale? Here is my solution to avoiding this problem. (Just a sidenote here, don't ever use a credit card unless you pay it off immediately (there are some good deals to be had by using a card). Debt is never pretty or happy.) When you have $30 or less to spare, from birthday money, Christmas money, selling that old whatever on Craigslist, buy something new. That way, you won't ever feel the need to blow the bank on a brand new wardrobe that will turn into your old frumpy wardrobe when it all shrinks in the first wash. I RARELY if EVER spend more than $30 on one article of clothing including shoes. Remember that EVERYTHING goes on sale. There is an exception to my $30 rule; everyone has their exception, mine is bras. (Oh and swimsuits! So I have two exceptions.) Let's just say that I make a double D look like a training bra. I need support people, and that support comes at a cost. I had a roommate in college who was over 6 foot and her exception was jeans. She didn't want to be advertising a flood if you know what I mean, so she had to spend more to get the length. You know what your exception is, and if you don't have one, COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS!!!

Now, I know what you're saying, nothing cute or in-style is under $30. Well, it CAN be if you shop the sales! I'm not saying your entire outfit has to be under $30, just each individual piece. In my younger years (which was 4 years ago when I was able to actually set foot in a store and have time to shop for myself) I would head straight back to the clearance racks. And that beautiful skirt I HAD to have that I saw on my way back? I'd stalk it to see when it went on sale, and it inevitably would. This has the added benefit of determining whether or not I would really get any use out of it or if it would just hang beautifully in my closet gathering dust.

Anyway, so if you still don't believe you can find a quality wardrobe on the cheap, don't fret. I'm here to help. Here are a few pieces I have found in the wee hours of the night, when I should be sleeping.

****UPDATE****
See, good things come to those who wait! All those Loft tops are 50% off today with the code NEWME which makes them even cheaper! They're all under $30 now, and those cute striped tops rang up in store as $12 for me! I also got a plain black one for $10. Ok, NOW my budget is officially spent. 

1. A girl can never have too many three-quarter sleeve navy striped shirts! or seafoam or coral. I'll take one of each thank you very much! Using the Loft friends and family code of friends2, these babies are $17.70 a piece.


2. This style of shirt is very flattering when, let's be honest, your jiggly belly is not. It comes in navy, black, seafoam and if you don't have the redhead curse like I do, that lemon-lime color looks fun! This one is from the Loft again, but you can find this style everywhere. I found a great navy one with white design (possibly my favorite shirt) at the Gap outlet for about 20 bucks. I really want this seafoam one.$29.70 with friends and family code.


3. Ok, here's one that might be worth a rule-breaking. With the f&f code it's $35.70. I might have a slight heart attack paying the 5.70 over my rule, BUT if I don't love it as much in person as I do online, I can always return it. I seriously love it.


4. However, I can't buy it this time, because I just bought 3 FABULOUS dresses, and have therefore depleted my wardrobe budget. Here's the first, in a lovely CORAL shade, even though online it says red and looks pink. (And I bought it anyway! Thinking it was pink! I confessed already to 2 of my sisters. They were speechless.)  I do also love the navy. And the black... Anyway, I KNOW it says it's $46.94, but I got it during a 30%  (or was it 40%) off all dresses sale. Wait for it.

5. I'm always nervous of a wrap-around, but this one fits GREAT. I'll wear it for a full day and let you know how it holds up. Again, bought on the % off dresses sale, but it might be worth the extra 5 bucks. I have to run and pick up my husband from the airport now, so I'll show you the other dress next week. I know, you're dying. Sorry. Try to survive with one of these amazing choices for now. Happy bargain shopping!





No comments:

Post a Comment